Pepin County Historical Society
Welcome to the Old Courthouse Museum. This building was constructed in 1873-74 for $7000, and, with the exception of the five-year period from 1882 to 1886, it served as the Pepin County Courthouse until 1985. It is the only remaining wood-frame courthouse in Wisconsin and one of only two existing Greek Revival style courthouses in the state. Both the courthouse and jail are listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places.
Now approaching 135 years old, the courthouse was originally without electricity and plumbing. Improvements to the building have been made over that time, yet several areas of the courthouse, including the courtroom itself, are still close to original.
The Maxwell Brothers
A Lynching in Durand
Click here to learn more about the infamous Maxwell Brothers!
New! Helen Parkhurst
World Famous Educator
Click here to learn more about Pepin County’s own educational pioneer!